Man Shot Dead While Working Out at Gym: Police

A man was fatally shot in the head while he was working out at a gym in San Antonio, Texas, according to police.

Officers from San Antonio Police Department raced to the 7100 block of Blanco Road after they received reports of a shooting at an LA Fitness gym at about 7 p.m. on Monday, August 1.

They found the victim had been shot once in the head and had died as a result of the injury, ABC affiliate KSAT reported.

Police haven’t yet released the identity of the victim.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, a database that collects information about shootings from across the U.S., 18 people in San Antonio have been fatally shot since July 1 this year. Some 101 people in the city have been shot dead since January 1.

The SAPD identified Jessie Marqui MacWilliams, 32, as the suspect and told the network that he walked up behind the victim and shot him at close range.

MacWilliams was apprehended without further incident on a sidewalk close to a nearby car dealership, according to KSAT.

Inmate records on the Bexar County Central Magistrate website, seen by Newsweek, showed MacWilliams was charged with murder in the first degree on Monday.

MacWilliams wasn’t in possession of a gun when he was arrested, but a weapon was found during a search nearby, according to the network.

SAPD officers told KSAT they believe the victim was killed in a targeted shooting although they didn’t comment on the possible motive.

Witness Quincy Mason told the network: “He [the suspect] walked up right to him [the victim] point blank and just aired him out, like it was in a movie.

“The dude could probably feel the gun on his head before.”

Mason claimed the victim’s son was with him at the time of the shooting and continued: “He didn’t even cry. He didn’t even know what to think about it. Bless his heart.”

Newsweek has contacted the SAPD for comment.

While rare, there have been several cases where people have been brutally attacked at gyms across the U.S.

Earlier this year, a man was followed into a California gym shower where he was stabbed in the back with a six-inch knife.

Police told CBS News that the man managed to survive the stabbing and he was said to be in a stable condition at a nearby hospital.

Leave a Comment